Wilmington, Delaware, City Flag

Dec 23rd, 2017

 

Wilmington is the seat of New Castle County in northeast Delaware. It is located at the confluence of the Christina and Brandywine Rivers. Wilmington was named for Spencer Compton, Earl of Wilmington and then prime minister of Great Britain. The city was founded in 1638, just before Fort Christian was built, incorporated in 1731, chartered as a borough in 1739, and as a city in 1832.

 

The city of Wilmington adopted an official city flag in 1963. It has a blue field with an off-center yellow cross stretched across its face. An image of the city seal is featured where the two sides of the cross meet. The flag was designed in 1927 by a local artist, Stanley M. Arthurs for use at an official dinner honoring George Black, then Superintendent of Police. The flag was requested by the superintendent of public buildings, Robert J. Forman. Although it was displayed periodically over the years, it was not officially adopted until the 325th-anniversary commemoration of the city.

 

In 2004, the North American Vexillological Association, NAVA, conducted The American City Flag Survey. Wilmington’s flag ranked 42nd out of 150 flags. Almost all flags that contain a solid field and a city seal or coat of arms ranked quite low in the survey. In addition, the flag does not follow the Vexillologist the rules of simple flag design.

 

Flagpoles Etc.

 

We are a family-owned business that has spent over 25 years in our chosen trade. All of our products are made in America. Please feel free to contact us with any questions that you may have regarding flags, flagpoles, and flag and flagpole accessories. Visit our Website to purchase yours today!

 

To keep up-to-date with our latest news and informative blog posts, Like us on Facebook, and  Follow us on Twitter (@FlagPoleEtc) and Google Plus